My Mom

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

As many of you know, my mom passed away last Wednesday.  We are still trying to adjust to our new reality without her, something I suspect we will never get adjusted to.  My mom was a huge part of my life, and an enormous part of my kids' life.  In particular, she was Coleman's biggest supporter and my counselor in all things related to special needs.

I want to post more about Coleman's progress but can't yet pull it together.  I will soon.  Instead today I'll share a post for my mom - it is the Eulogy I wrote and gave at her funeral.  She was an amazing woman - many of you had the great pleasure of knowing her.  We will miss her every single day.

 
For my Mom
One of the many difficult parts about death is that no matter how much time you have to prepare for its arrival, you are never really prepared.  Some would say our family was lucky in that respect - we had our chances to say goodbye, to hold her closely and tell her how much we loved and appreciated her, to let her know, despite our heartache, that is was ok to let go, ok to give up.  But we hardly feel lucky.  We feel crushed.

Everyone here knew my mother well.  She was so many wonderful things to so many wonderful people.  To her friends, she was a faithful promise, a constant and honest friend in both good times and in bad.  A shoulder to lean on, an ear to vent to, a heart to cry to.   A friend that was always at the ready.  But she was also a friend in need. 

She needed that shoulder to lean on, that ear to vent to, and many hearts to cry to (though truthfully I suspect she rarely did).  Mostly though, I think, she needed friends to escape to from her delightful but occasionally incorrigible children.   She sought conversations and discussions that surrounded in things other than “Who drank all the milk?” “Who ate the last of the Cap’n Crunch?” “Where are all the Chips Ahoy hidden?”   I remember she would try to sneak to Gerard’s café, or her friend Peachie’s house to chat for a short time.  But she would be gone no more than a ½ hour and we would be on the phone, calling. 

“When are you coming home?”   “How much longer?”   “Do I have to watch Star Trek?”

My mother’s friends tried to help fend us off, official gatekeepers of her time.  I would call, and try to disguise my voice when Peachie answered the phone.  “Your Mom is busy right now.  What do you need?” she would say.  Such a shrewd one that Peachie, thwarting all our efforts.   My mother deserved the break from us of course, deserved some time away – we just never saw it back then.  Just like we never saw any the stress or pain or heartache that she went through.  We only ever saw the positive, reassuring, ‘everything is fine’ woman.  The ‘we can handle this’ woman.  The ‘nothing is insurmountable’ woman.   She was that woman until the end. 

In reality, though, of course, there was stress and pain and heartache; everything was not always fine.  And that’s where her friends really shone.   

I first noticed the bond of my mother’s friendships with the arrival of Kiki.  It took exceptional friends to understand a special girl like Kiki, and all of my mom’s friends did – they all became important parts of her life.  We held several healing masses at our house for Kiki , several prayer services – and all of my mother’s friends were there, every time.  In addition, they came several times each week to ‘patten’ Kiki – a process that was intended to prevent atrophy from settling in Kiki’s body from non-movement.  In a small room in the basement, with Kiki layed out on a table, they took turns moving her legs, bending her arms, helping to make flexible those limbs that did not move on their own.  And in between turns, they played guitars, sang songs, told stories, and ate pizza.  A lot of pizza.   I vividly recall sitting atop those basement stairs, happily listening to the growing din below, knowing that all of these people were here to help Kiki, to help my mother.  I didn’t know what to call the feeling then, that mix of happiness and pride – the combination that nearly takes your breath away.  I know now it’s called gratitude.  Today, our family remains full of that feeling, that gratitude, for the friend that each of those people were to my mother. 

My mother’s friendships certainly weren’t contained to helping with Kiki.  My mom lived a full life, despite her meager means, and we have lots of fond memories of times spent with her and her friends.  She loved her Sunday movies and dinners, and her weekend trips to Chatham.  I recall many afternoons on Bowman street, annual trips to the campgrounds at Myles Standish, long beach days at Nantasket, and our rare but fun week-long Cape Cod rentals.  We loved my mom’s friends – they were, still are, and always will be – like extended family.  From the Fitzgeralds to the O’briens, the Flahertys to the McIntyres, the Clarks to the Shepards, and so many, many others in between.  She was a lucky woman to have so many friends that cared about her. 

Aside from my mother’s friendships, the majority of her time was spent with us, her kids.  She was our world.  And, I think, we were hers as well.  She loved the beach and we spent a considerable amount of time there with her.  Where else really can you take seven kids for the day with a jug of kool-aid and a stack of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?  We were never alone, sitting in the same spot every day, where neighbors and friends all gathered at various times of the day.  We arrived early and stayed late.   It was a ritual we all loved.  Unless you were mistakenly left at the beach.  Like me.  “Go over to the showers and wash the sand off” my mother told me.  In retrospect, it was ridiculous of her to ask.  Clean the sand off before getting in the car??  Really?  That old station wagon had enough sand in it to start its own beach.  But still, off I ran to wash the sand off.  I dawdled, I’m sure.  And when I returned, there was no car.  And no family.  My mother told the story that she was home, unpacking the car, thinking “It seems very quiet around here…” realizing suddenly I was missing.  So she came back and got me and no one’s been forgotten since. 

As the years passed and my mom’s arthritis grew worse, her days at the beach began to wind down, the soft sand too difficult to maneuver in.  It killed her to give up the beach, and in the last years, she would drive to Nantasket, and wait for the tide to come in, and then walk down the ramp so she could get to the water easily.   But even that was difficult and soon she was unable to make it onto the beach at all.  To compensate for the beach, we started to spend more time at our pools. Between all of her children, she had several to choose from, though admittedly she found my pool the easiest to enter and exit.  You could frequently find her there, floating around the pool, noodle behind her back, basking in all her glory.  We kept the fridge stocked with hotdogs and relish.  Food for our queen. 

Soon, though, even the pools became difficult to get in and out of.  But she didn’t complain, only wanting to spend time with us wherever she could.  She was a big fan of sitting in the yard with everyone, passing hours on end chatting about anything and everything.  She would call me in the morning.  “What are you doing today?” she’d ask with anticipation.  “Not much.  Might go over Ronnie’s so Coleman can jump on the trampoline for a while.”  “Good.  Ok, my friends are going to the Cape for the day, but I’d rather hang with you guys.”  “Go!” we would urge her, but she was stubborn, as you know, and there was no changing her mind.  And so we spent many, many lazy days in yard gabbing away, and as the weather grew cold, we simply moved indoors but continued with our weekend get togethers.  They were quite frequent, and I am so grateful now for all of those times we shared. 

Things took a dramatic turn for the worse about 2 ½ years ago with the first of several perforations in her colon and, despite her best efforts, the downward spiral never really ceased.  She never complained though, and remained desperate to get home, hopeful always that she could get there.  For a short time she did make it home, and despite her inability to walk, she was able to slide from the bed to the wheelchair unassisted, and then manage her way around her house independently.  She had such determination – it was really something.  At one point, she would call one of us that lived close by – Debbie or Patti -  and have them come to her house, help her down the ramp and into the driver’s seat of her car.  They would pack the wheelchair into the trunk, and off she would drive to her destination, usually my house.  She would pull into my driveway and beep, and out I would come, take the wheelchair out of the trunk, help her into it, and through a true MacGyver contraption which included couch pillows and a set of 2x4s, get her up the singular small step into my house.   She held on to the sides of that chair as I heaved her up – I’m certain God himself was there helping, for although we made it, it was a very close call.  We waited for Billy to come home before trying to get her back out again.   In any case, my mother remained determined, and that determination carried her through the last two years.  During these difficult times, she remained clear of mind except for a few bouts of confusion associated with infections.  Those times provided us all with a bit of comic relief as she recounted events or things that had never happened.  Chuckling she would nod her head to the windows, and whisper “Do you see them?  There are little leprechauns up on the corners of the windows.”  Or when visiting her I would ask “How was your night?” and she would tell me how she had gone to Hi-Fi for pizza that night, which was not possible since she was unable to eat or walk then.   Or, in a particularly out of character moment, she flipped the bird to one of the nurses she was sure had just insulted her.  For the most part, however, she was sharp and she remembered everything.   Her head was strong, but her body was weak.  It was only very recently, I think, that she began to understand that God’s plan was quite different than hers. 

We all had very different relationships with my mother, none more important than any other, none less.  She cherished them all, and never a day passed that she wasn’t available.  She was a teacher, a confidant, a guidance counselor, a cheer leader, a sympathizer, a unifier, and a friend.  She was a parent in the fullest sense of the world, a Matriarch who lived her life in God’s example.  She did not deserve the life she was dealt.  She deserved so much better.  She had EARNED so much better.  We will always struggle to understand God’s plan.

Her passing has left us broken hearted, a colossal void that will never be filled.  But we will forge forward and try to find joy in our memories of her.  We will do our best to follow the example she so plainly set for us - 3 simple truths to live by:  live faithfully, forgive quickly, and love deeply.  We will remember that she gave us her all, an effort that likely gave us more time with her than perhaps God had originally planned.  We will find comfort that her suffering has ended, that she is reunited with Kiki and her own parents, and that one day we will meet again.  Until that day, we will plead with her for heavenly favors;  we will beg her to help us;  we will implore her to guide us.  We will be relentless in our demands.  We will give her no peace.  For her, it will be just like she never left. 


💓💓💓💔💔💔💔💓💖💖

No comments:

Post a Comment