The Not So Glorious Times of Camp Chaos

Sunday, April 8, 2018




I meant it when I ended last April saying things with Coleman were very, very good.  All aggression was gone, most OCD was gone, lots of bad habits were ended, countless unproductive routines were stopped...in all, so many good changes.  Coleman was happy, we were happy, and we felt that finally, truly, we were on the right path.  The changes in diet combined with medical supplements had proven to be a powerful force for Coleman.  I really believed there was a real possibility of a different outcome for my boy.  I believed that anything was possible.  And then Life said, “Hold my beer.”

It started as just a little crankiness.  Maybe he’s getting sick, I thought.  It persisted and after a couple of days he started touching things again.  He started yelling at the girls.  He stopped smiling.  And then driving, when I turned left onto Main Street, he exploded, yelling “No, go the other way!”  I started in disbelief in the rear-view mirror and thought, Houston, we have a problem. 

Over the next couple of weeks, his behaviors worsened.  Coleman was highly irritable, yelling at anyone that came his way.  He was perseverating on lights and routines and touching everything again.  His school notes came back with comments like “tough day again” and “doesn’t seem like himself”.  At the park, he kept to himself, not caring about the kids running around playing tag.  He stood facing a tree, scripting into his hand, putting together short angry phrases that had no meaning.  On his bike, I had to practically pull him along, so stuck was he in his own world of scripting and repeating.  And the beach, a place he had grown to love, was a disaster.  He made it impossible for any of us to enjoy, screaming at the girls to sit down, get back to the water, get out of the water, put the book down, pick it back up, don’t talk to your friend, go talk to your friend.  Holy hell we wanted to kill him.  And when we finally got him down to the water, he refused to go in more than a few inches, no matter how much we prodded him.  He seemed to forget completely how he had loved to go neck-deep and let the waves wash up over him, laughing excitedly as they approached.  Instead, he stood motionless in the ankle-deep water, scripting incomprehensible words and phrases, hand to his face, until we had to finally coax him back out of the water.  Summer turned to fall and he continued on this path,  He awoke angry every morning, turning the start of every day into a shouting match, so much so that the rest of us pretty much raced to see who could be the first one out of the house.  No more than 6 weeks after it had started, things had completely unravelled and nearly all of the gains Coleman had made over the previous 18 months were gone.  Left behind was a sad, angry boy who had stopped smiling and laughing, who seemed lost in a world behind his scripts and shows.  

It’s hard to drop so swiftly from great optimism to great doubt.  To question everything you are doing.  To begin to lose hope.  It was a fairly depressing year.  

Around mid-February after a particularly difficult day, I lie in bed staring at the ceiling and began to pray.  Mom, I thought, I need help here. I don’t know what to do.  I don’t know what is best, who to talk to, where to go.  I need help.  Please help me.

I feel asleep in tears and woke up as usual for the busy day ahead.  I dropped Emma at school, and had just arrived at my office when my phone buzzed.  I glanced at the text message and stopped in my tracks.  I was confused.  The message looked like it was from my mother.  It was a text that read in part, “Good morning love.  I can’t wait to see you.  I just want to tell you how much I miss you. Remember to do your very best and of course, how very much you are loved.”   I stared in disbelief.  I re-read the text again and with my heart racing, I tried to make sense of it.  I realized after a minute it was from Emma but I was still confused.  I closed and opened the message again, and amid my panic finally realized it was a screen shot.  Emma had taken a picture of a message my mom had sent to her years ago.  I quickly texted Emma, and asked why she had sent it. I knew she had no idea about my prayers the night before.  Emma said she didn’t know why but she had awoken with a strong feeling about my mother and couldn’t stop thinking about her.  So she went through her phone to look at old messages from her and found some.  She loved reading them and had forwarded one to me. 

It was a sign I desperately needed.  Keep going, stay strong.  She was there.  Silently, invisibly, continuously there.  

I cried at my desk reading the message again and then laughed and said out loud, “Thank you. Where the hell have you been?”  J


No comments:

Post a Comment