ICAN('T) RIDE

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

 


Last summer, the ICan Bike program came to Hingham.  The program is run by I Can Shine, a non-profit organization that provides learning opportunities in recreational activities for individuals with disabilities.  The bike program is pretty amazing and known nationally for their success in teaching kids to ride a bike, with over 80% of program participants successfully riding a two-wheel bike after the one week program.  When it was announced the program was coming to Hingham (another great effort by the Hingham SNAP folks in providing opportunities for kids with special needs!) I signed Coleman up immediately.  When I mentioned Coleman would be attending, lots of friends and acquaintances raved “My guy learned to ride in that program!” and “I never thought my girl would ever ride and that program taught her!” so I was pretty amped up about Coleman starting.

The program was amazing, and the folks and volunteers that led it were fantastic, and most kids did have great success. 

I just want to add, and I’m not sure who out there needs to hear this, not everyone learns to ride.  That’s all. 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment