The Start of Summer

Saturday, April 18, 2020



Well this has been a first.  Seventeen days in and crickets. So much for providing you with some distraction during this time.  Thank you for all of the text messages and Facebook messages asking if I fell of the planet.  I’m sure I speak for many when I say it’s been a challenging few weeks. 
I’m trying hard to remember where we were last spring when we left off.  It feels like so much more than a year ago. 
For starters, you might recall that around this time last year Coleman had been exhibiting long staring spells along with vocal and motor tics, and as a result he was scheduled for a 24 hour EEG and MRI.  Well, surely it will stun you to know that my little man was a champ and wore those crazy electrodes on his head and carried that battery-filled fanny pack around with him for the full 24 hours.   I know, like snow on Christmas Day.  It was wonderful.  Even better, the results were normal with no seizure activity noted. So it was a massive win. 
Coleman also seemed very much on the upswing in terms of health, with the annual Fall flare-up fully behind us, we were starting a good run.  By mid-May he was wonderful – the fact that he cooperated with the EEG was evidence enough – but he was more cooperative across the board.  Less intense, less stimmy, less anxious, less OCD.  He was just happier.  The usual questions started each day:  “Do you want to go see…” or “We can go to…” and he waited for me to fill in his blank. And I felt my heart sink a little each morning as he looked at me wide-eyed with excitement, knowing I had nothing spectacular to offer.  He was desperate for peer social interaction - we just needed to find it.  It was around that time that I saw the Facebook announcement from Katy Boucher.  
Katy is well known both locally and nationally for her outside the box approach to working with kids with varying abilities.  She founded and ran Skills for Living on the South Shore for ten years, and her novel approach to teaching social skills to children and teens, built on the foundation of genuine opportunities for real friendship, gained her wide-spread attention and respect.  Her social groups were wildly popular so it was a great disappointment to see them end when Katy took a break to start a small private school based on social learning and hands-on education.  So it was with great excitement that I read the Facebook post announcing the revival of those famous social skills groups for the upcoming summer. 
Knowing the limited spots would fill fast, I clicked the link, quickly read the group descriptions, picked one and signed Coleman up.  As the date came closer I grew worried about how Coleman would fit in with these kids.  I re-read the group descriptions on line, and became even more anxious, concerned that the other kids would be very different from Coleman.  I finally decided to send an email to Katy about my concerns and in true Katy fashion, she called me right away.  She hadn’t ever met Coleman and as I described him she listened patiently.  She agreed Coleman sounded a little different than most of the kids she worked with.  She suggested we meet at a park one late afternoon before the program began.  She’d arrange for a few other kids to be there, and it would provide an opportunity for us to all meet and for her to see how he might interact with other kids. 
Of course Coleman was super excited when I told him we were going to the park.  “We’ll go to the park and you can play with some new friends.  I’m going to talk to my friend Katy, but you can play with the kids!”  I was trying to prep him that I wouldn’t be running around the park with him.  The playground we were meeting at was one geared toward older kids – it had a zipline, a large climbing structure and big swings.  When we arrived, Katy was already there with a few adults and several young tweens, including her own kids.  She was super friendly, and after our introductions, she called out to her son.  When he came over, she simply said “This is Coleman.  Can you see if he’d like to join you? He might need some help so if you could be a helper that would be great.”  And this sweet boy who was probably only a couple of years younger than Coleman, turned to him and said “Hi Coleman, I’m Tyler. Want to come play?”  Ah, his simple kind approach put me immediately at ease.  And apparently Coleman felt it too because he smiled and followed him up the hill toward the other kids. 
Katy was lovely.  We chatted and she watched Coleman.  A few times she went up the hill to say something to him or one of the other kids.  I nervously watched as Coleman stood separate from the others, just watching and not really participating.  And as they all ran down the hill, I saw Coleman stay where he was, staring and smiling, twisting his hands in delight as the kids ran past him.  “Coleman follow the kids!” I called out anxiously.  He walked toward them but stopped about half way.  He stood there.  He was smiling but continued to watch them.  I shot a glance toward Katy – what is she going to think? But she was just smiling.  We stayed in total about an hour.  Coleman interacted some but watched a lot more.  I knew he really loved this all – I just wondered if Katy would be able to tell.  “I know it looks like he’s not interested but he really is loving this” I said.  Katy looked at me surprised.  “Oh I can tell he’s interested.  Look how he watches?  I love how connected he is. I have met lots of kids who can do many things but who are completely uninterested in anything around them.  Coleman wants to be part of this, he just doesn’t know how.”  I felt a wave of relief come over me.  And she turned back to Coleman, and stared for a few minutes.  Then she said “I think that’s where we start.  Let’s do the social group.  Let’s work on trying to help him stay with a group. It’s simple, but I think that is where we need to start.  Is that ok with you?” 
I knew at that moment I was going to adore this woman.  And as we left the park that day, my heart swelled with gratitude and hope and excitement for Coleman.  I glanced back at him after we got in the car and said “Well, what did you think?” He smiled and asked “We can see my friends again tomorrow?”  It was the start of what would turn out to be a fantastic summer.   



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I've shied away from social skills groups for the same reasons. It's so wonderful when you find people who really understand your child.

    ReplyDelete