Playing My Part

Monday, April 8, 2019


Coleman has about 15 children’s series shows that he loves, maybe more.  Backyardigans, Blues Clues, Ni Hao Kai Lan, Jack’s Big Music Show and so many more.  We phase through shows, watching one series over and over for weeks and then, finally moving onto another.  He knows every single word of every show, including expressions, sighs, and of course, the music.  He loves the music most.  “Sing!” he demands when I am watching with him, so of course I know every word too. 

The past several weeks we’ve been watching Jack’s Big Music Show.  As you saw in my previous post, Coleman likes to repeat things.  Shows are no different.  He stands in front of the T.V. bouncing up and down, repeating every word.  Often, he wants me to repeat the sentence that was just said, which means honestly, that I have to pay attention to what Jack and Mary are saying on the Big Music Show.  For example, when Jack turns to Mary and Mel and exclaims, “Hey Mary! Are you ready for Mel’s Super Swell dance party?!”  Coleman whips around to me and says “Hey…” and pauses.  That’s my cue.  I jump right in “Hey Mary! Are you ready for Mel’s Super Swell dance party?!” I say this as if I am truly excited for the Super Swell Dance Party.  Which I am not, because it means I also have to get up and dance, but that’s another story.  And so the repeating continues.  We take turns throughout the show, Coleman saying most of the lines and me chiming in when he whips around and gives me my cue.   We have this little game down to an art. 

He must be bored with it all, though, because recently he started to change things up.  And by that I mean he decided to rename all of the characters.  With not just random names.  Instead, he uses names from other shows.  Which, as a person required to participate, I can tell you is incredibly confusing. 

For example, in our recent episodes of Jack’s Big Music Show, Coleman has changed the names of the main characters of Jack, Mary and Mel to Dora, Uniqua, and Pablo respectively. Dora is from Dora the Explorer, and Uniqua and Pablo are from the Backyardigans.  This is a lot to follow here, right?  Do you see why I’m struggling?  Are you with me?   Coleman sings along with the words but perfectly changes the names within the narrative and songs to the new names he has chosen.  PERFECTLY.  He never screws it up.  I’m struggling just listening and then he whips around and with a big grin gives me my cue, and using the same example above, instead of saying “Hey Mary! Are you ready for Mel’s Super Swell dance party” I have to remember the new names and say instead “Hey Uniqua! Are you ready for Pablo’s Super Swell dance party?!”   Seriously, this is not just repeating anymore.  I have to really keep my shit together.  The struggle is real, folks.  And I fail often.  I stammer, “Hey..um..shoot, sorry, Coleman who is Mary again?”  He pauses the show and looks at me like I am a complete moron. He might actually shake his head in disbelief.  And he gives me the tip:  her name is Uniqua.  He rewinds to my part and we try it again and I get it right.  On and on. 
Last night before the show, I really studied the part.  Mary is Uniqua.  Jack is Dora and Mel is Pablo.  I went over and over it in my head so I was ready.  And when the show came on and Coleman turned to me for my line, without missing a beat I exclaimed “Hey Uniqua! Are you ready for Pablo’s Super Swell dance party?!”   First time, nailed it.  And the look he gave me?  He was gleeful, smiling wide and staring at me in near disbelief.  It was pride, I tell you.  The child was so flipping proud that I had gotten it right.  And this, my friends, is winning with autism.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment