I Cannot Die. Not ever.

Monday, April 29, 2019


We had Coleman’s 3 year review today.  It was, in a word, depressing.  Sometimes reality hits you softly and gently like a breeze you barely notice.  Other times it’s like a hammer to the head.  Today was the latter, unfortunately.  It’s not that the news was surprising – it wasn’t.  By standardized testing measures, Coleman has made little to no progress over the last three years.  I don’t put much stock in these types of test – they are poor measures of ability for this population and I think that is also true for Coleman.  He is more than those numbers show.  But I couldn’t help but think about the past as I drove back to work, wondering how my boy fell from what I would have considered ‘high’ functioning many years ago to where he is now:  setting goals like being able to fold a face cloth and not yell when people say hello to him.  I tried to not think about it, I turned the music up in the car and tried play upbeat music.  But it was too late and my mind was racing past all reasonable efforts to stop it.  It was a sobbing, messy ride and I had to sit in my car for another fifteen minutes by the time I got to work to let the tears and redness go away.  Ah, I know my little man is amazing but days like today when Coleman’s inabilities are starkly laid out neatly in charts and measures, and his need for so much assistance is so strongly spoken, I go directly to the worst thing:  what will happen when to him when I die?  I cannot die.  Not ever. 

Parents of children with special needs face a painful, unfathomable reality:  they will need someone to care for their adult children in the future when they are gone. 

I cannot even begin to express the very deep and personal agony of this.  I am absolutely terrified of dying.  I think about who will tell Coleman I am gone?  How will they tell him?  How will Coleman possibly understand where I have gone.   Will he think I have left him?  What if Billy dies too?  What then?  Will this heavy burden fall to our girls?  Where will they be in their own lives?  How will they care for Coleman?

The emotional burden is great because the reality is daunting.  The truth is that there is no safety net in today’ society for this population.  According to statistics, 85% of autistic adults live with their parents.  The national shortage of caregivers and the incredibly low wages paid in this area make the situation for our children ripe for neglect and abuse.  And articles like the one this week in Psychology Today underscore the problem we face:

What are parents like me to do to protect our disabled loved ones?  How do we learn to trust caregivers if there is so much abuse out there?  Often hidden cameras are not allowed, and even if they are, abuse captured on video may not end in conviction.  One parent in Massachusetts, Paul Joyce, has the evidence of his son being repeatedly beaten, on camera, and yet those responsible, even though found guilty, was given 18 months probation and ‘ordered not to work in this field again,’ according to Joyce.  The other perpetrator was simply ordered to write the Joyces a letter of apology.

Worse, I think, are parents who have to make this choice before death.  Parents who can simply no longer handle their child because they have become too big or too strong or too aggressive.  I will never forget the heartache my own mother felt when she had to place my severely disabled sister in a home – it nearly broker her.  She never got over it, and when Kiki died in the hospital from a perforated colon, my mother cried and cried that she was not there for her.  It was absolutely heartbreaking.  My mother’s story is the same story for so many hundreds of families.  It is unimaginable.  In a Facebook group for Parents of Special needs children that I am part of, this was written the other day:

I know this is the place I can go where people will understand my heartache. I moved my son out of my house last night. My nonverbal child who speaks a couple words a year told me, "No mama." as I left him. He's not too far away and I can visit but, it's not an ideal situation. The pain of choosing the least shitty option feels almost unbearable. Please pray for us. I am praying to God my son is not as heartbroken as I am.

Honestly, I do not know this woman.  But I thought about her all night when I read it and cried thinking of her heartache.  And I prayed to God, please let that never be me.  Please.  And today, after the IEP review, I prayed aloud again:  Please.  I can’t die.  Not ever. 

See what happens when I go off script?  I had planned a nice post as we approach our last day together and bam, reality hammer to head and I’m a mess.  I know I’m not dying.  At least I sure as shit hope not.  But the struggle is real my friends.  I’ll be back tomorrow sunny and cheery and we’ll end this year on a high note.  J


1 comment: