Play With Me, Part I

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Day 5:  Play With Me,  Part I

Yes, this is in two parts. Too long for one post and I don't want to bore anyone.  So I'm breaking this into two, and the second half will be posted tomorrow. 


It’s 7:30 a.m. and I’m sitting sipping my coffee on the couch in the playroom, tapping away on this computer as Coleman rotates between the t.v. and his guys.  I love Saturday mornings, particularly those like this when neither of the girls has to be at an early game or practice.  With the girls still asleep and Billy out at an appointment, Coleman and I have the quiet pleasure of each other’s company.  “Want to Play with me?” I ask.  “No thank you.”  Coleman’s language nearly always includes please and thank you.  Even when he has to do something he detests, like get a haircut.  He’ll adamantly announce “No Thank you.”   This morning I push again, “How about a puzzle?” “No thank you.”  “Want to draw?” “No thank you.”  He is glued to his show, dancing and speaking in unison with Steve from Blue’s Clues.  I let him play, because I need to write this entry, and I’ve already learned, writing a blog means completely and entirely ignoring your children.

When Coleman was little, he wasn’t much into toys.  Not balls, squeaky toys, cars, rattles, or blocks.  For his first birthday, we bought him a small plastic train set that ran with batteries on a small circular track.  It was the first toy Coleman found any interest in.  He could push the button and watch it go round and round.  Soon he discovered he could pick the train up off the track and the wheels would still spin.  He touched his index finger to the spinning wheel and it continued to spin.  He loved that.  It was the first type of “stimming” he did.  Of course, we had no idea. We were grateful he liked the toy, however silly his use of it was.  But after a while, I would eye him sitting on the floor, the train tucked in his lap, and his finger on the wheel, not smiling or laughing, just holding the train.  I felt my heart drop a tiny bit.  Something seemed off.  But everyone seemed to keep saying boys were slower, boys are different so I tried to ignore the suspicion that something wasn’t right.  As time went on, however, Coleman spent more and more time with the train.  No matter what you put in front of him, he would crawl away back to the train.  

Around this same time, Billy and I had planned a trip to Disney for the girls – they were four and five years old at the time and ridiculously huge princess fans.  We knew this was the perfect age to bring them to Disney - but not ideal age for Coleman who was just a year old.  My sister and mother were going to keep Coleman for us – they were excited to have him for a few days – and we were excited to have the girls alone for a few days.  To this day, that trip was the absolute best thing we ever did, and without a doubt my favorite vacation of all time.  It was when we came home – absence opens your eyes to what you get used to seeing everyday – that I could see the distinct delay in Coleman.  I was surprised – was he like this before we left? I asked my mother and sister and they were relieved I saw it too – they knew after just a couple of days with him – we needed to call Early Intervention. 

The therapists from Early Intervention came – they said he qualified for help in speech and motor skills – but surprisingly they felt intellectually he was on track.  They said they would work on a plan and bring it back to us two weeks later.  As luck would have it, the day before they came back, Coleman was diagnosed with Leukemia, admitted to Children’s hospital and Early Intervention suddenly seemed vastly unimportant.  Over the next two and half years, any attempt at intervention was futile – he was just too sick and weak to participate.  At treatment’s end, and the ensuing Autism diagnosis shortly thereafter, Coleman was ready to pick up in the exact spot he had left off three years prior.    

The school sent a BCBA therapist to work with Coleman three days a week.  He also started to attend some mornings at the Integrated Preschool.  I felt helpless and sad back then, but relieved to let someone else take over.  The therapist seemed to be confidant about what needed to be done and started working on simple tasks.  Stacking two blocks, putting shapes into a shape sorter, pulling plastic beads apart.  It was hard for him.  He was incredibly weak physically, and even the smallest of demands seemed exhausting to him.  But his therapist was patient and good, and I could tell she adored him too. 

In some areas he seemed to make better progress than in others.  And that fall, when he was ready to attend 5 mornings at the school’s Integrated Preschool program, they stopped his home services.  Looking back I didn’t care. I thought it was all too hard for him.  I felt like three hours of school was enough – it was so much work for him, emotionally and physically.  And I felt like he deserved a break.  I know now that was a mistake.  But the truth is, I felt badly for him – I just wanted him to be happy. 

Play continued to be a primary focus through all of the plans, but even as he made advances in speech and motor planning, play skills remained well behind.  He was unable to play a simple game of tag, of hide and seek; unable to toss a ball, and certainly unable to push pedals on a small trike.   He would not pick up a matchbox car, slide it along the floor and say “Vroom!”  He couldn’t stack a pile of blocks nor slide a crayon across a piece of paper.  The school assured us many other steps led to play – and he would get there, but it seemed to me a distant hope.  His only enjoyment was his shows – The Backyardigans, Dora the Explorer, Go Diego Go, Blue’s Clues, Dragon Tales.  He watched them over and over and it seemed it was the only time he smiled.  So of course I wanted to let him watch them all the time.  Another mistake. 

On Coleman’s fourth birthday, we bought him a Backyardigans Birthday cake, which came with three Backyardigans figurines as cake-toppers.  Coleman was intrigued by the figures, and immediately took them in hands and held onto them all day.  And thus began his love for his ‘guys’.  Of course, seeing his interest in something tangible was exciting for us, and we quickly populated the playroom with more figures than was at all reasonable.  Despite the masses, he has his core group of 5, the Fabulous Five.  They now have capes (one day he wanted them to be superheroes like one of his shows) and scarfs (I was making a blanket and he made a scarf for them) but otherwise they are the same guys we started with five years ago.  His only play for years was lining up these guys, spending hours at a time to get them in a perfect spot.  He still does it, many, many times each day. 

Those 5 guys are his best friends, and they have saved the day for us on more than one occasion.  So we were all sickened when several summers ago we thought we were down to a Fabulous Four.  We were out on our street, playing Dodge ball.  Coleman didn’t play, but he loved to watch everyone run back and forth.  He had the Fabulous Five with him – they were lined up on the street beside him watching the rest of the kids.  I’m not sure how, but somehow Coleman picked up Tiger (one of the Fab 5) and accidentally dropped him and he rolled and fell into the sewer.  You can’t imagine the scene. He was devastated, crying trying to reach into the sewer, pleading with me “TIGER!”  “TIGER!”  There was a Black Bee’s nest right inside the sewer (we realized this as we were trying to peer in and see Tiger below) so I had to pull Coleman away as the bees flew out.  As you can imagine, this didn’t help.  He was so confused, just wanted Tiger and kept saying it with pleading eyes, not understanding why I couldn’t get him.  By now Emma was crying and Abby was crying too, because they could see the absolute confusion and pain in his eyes – why weren’t we getting Tiger?  I led them to the car and Coleman was crying, looking back, saying Tiger over and over.  I was telling him Tiger was taking a rest and we would come back and get him in a while.  We climbed straight into the car and drove to two different ToysRUs stores, Walmart and Target, trying to find the Little People Zoo set that Tiger was part of. We had no luck and came home empty handed.  Coleman kept asking and I just kept saying he would be home soon, as I scanned the internet and Ebay for Tiger.  As evening approached, it started to rain and Coleman just kept quietly asking “Tiger?”  I’ll tell you it was heart-braking.  As I looked out the front window, I could see a light shining over the sewer.  I peered through the window trying to see what it was, but the rain was heavy and dark and I gave up.  And then, around 9 pm, the knock at the front door.  There stood my neighbor, Kevin Bird, soaked in rain, holding a fishing rod, a pail, and Tiger.  Best. Neighbor. Ever. 

And so the Fabulous 5 were reunited, and remain together still.  We are extraordinarily careful with them now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment