Clothing Bothers Me

Monday, April 7, 2014


Day 7:  Clothing Bothers Me

Last night, after Coleman’s bath, we went through the same struggle we face frequently at bath time.  It’s not the bath that’s the problem – it’s getting dressed afterwards.  Clothes seem to bother Coleman – from underwear and socks to shirts and jackets to hats and mittens – all of it, head to toe.

At bath time, he easily lets me remove his clothes, eager to be free of the restriction that he feels, and happily climbs into the tub.  He loves the bath, talking away to himself and rolling around in the bubbles.  When he is clean and I have washed his hair, I give him the warning that we have to finish up and get dressed in two more minutes.  Without a fight, he takes my hand out of the tub, and I dry his warm body off and wrap the towel around him for the walk down the hall to his room.  Even the towel he dislikes, however, and I struggle with him to keep it on down the hall.  In his room, I stretch out his clothing as much as I can without tearing it – leg holes, socks, necklines – but against his body it still feels wrong.  He isn’t able to articulate what feels wrong, only pleads with me to “fix it”.  So we stretch and pull some more, until we get it right.  Because of this, I tend to gravitate toward the clothes that feel good on him, the sloppy, loose old clothing – fashion sense and adorably trendy clothing have long been abandoned in favor of these easy-to-wear favorites.  But sometimes, even the favorites aren’t right.  Like last night. 

Coleman doesn’t use the term “favorite” – I don’t even think he even understands fully what ‘favorite’ means – but he has a yellow striped shirt that he loves.  I think it’s because it’s soft and loose, and the sleeves are past his wrist (which he likes because he chews on the sleeve).  I know he loves this shirt – he asks for it and he has never asked for any other item of clothing.  Last night after his bath, I said to him “Hmmm…what shirt…” and then, with a big to-do, I announced “I know!  The yellow shirt!! Yay!”  I led him to the laundry room and pulled the yellow shirt out of the dryer like a superhero saving the day.  I do this big show for both of us – I know he loves it so he’ll be happy to see it, but also for me, because you never know when he might decide the yellow shirt isn’t so great and it’s always good to have an easy go-to shirt, so I’m trying to remind him ahead of time that he loves this shirt.  When he saw the shirt, he was so happy, clapping, “Yay! The yellow shirt!” and I stretched it out a bit, and put it on him.  In just seconds, the smile vanished and he was pulling at the neck, behind his head.  “Fix it!”  I stretched it a little more back there, but still it wasn’t right.  The shirt is tagless, but something was bothering him.  I tried for a while but couldn’t get it right for him.  By then, he was upset and yelling.  He went over to Billy.  “Fix it?” and so Billy tried too.  Neither of us could get it right.  He was crying, pulling at it and at his neck.  I said “Why don’t we take it off and try a different shirt?” but he looked at me with pleading eyes, “No the yellow shirt! Fix it?”  And so we pulled and stretched, tried taking it off and putting it back on but little seemed to help.  After 35 minutes or so, by then teary, tired and rashy from all the pulling, we tried one final stretch, and he announced a relieved “You did it!”  Grateful we could move on, I said “Good!  All fixed!” to which he confidently replied “You did it! All by yourself!” (He was referring to himself.)

Many children both on and off the spectrum have tactile issues with clothing.  I remember I had them as a child, desperately wanting everything to be loose.  Emma has it a bit as well, some clothes just plain old feel wrong.  It’s easy to underestimate the impact this can have on kids, particularly those on the spectrum.  The half hour we spent after the tub last night is not so very unlike  many other nights.  Which is why I’ll share our dirty little secret:  whatever shirt I put on Coleman for bed, is the shirt Coleman wears to school the next day.  Yes, I do that.  And to be honest, but for the germs I fear he brings home with him from school, I would let him wear the same shirt all week.   Ah, the truth behind the wrinkled shirts he wears each day.  No, not too lazy to iron.  Too lazy to fight.  At least it avoids one struggle for both of us each day.    

Shirts aren’t the only issue we face;  there are similar trials every time he puts on socks (we have exactly six pair he will wear, and even those don’t always work).  He hates sweatshirts and sweaters, pulls and pulls at a collared shirt, doesn’t like hats, refuses to wear boots, and has never worn a mitten or glove a day in his life.  The frustration of dressing is exhausting to all of us.  The natural timing of these occurrences couldn’t be more ill-placed:  either right before bed, a time at which all patience is gone, and literally I am willing to let him sleep naked if he would just go to bed, or right before school, a time at which I am always rushing, and literally I am willing to let him go out the door naked if he would just go to school. 

Daily dressing is not the only time reserved for such fun.  While most people enjoy seasonal changes in the weather, Billy and I find their approach daunting – a change in season is a change in clothing required which is never fun.  Transitions from summer to fall, fall to winter, and winter to spring all require changes layers of clothing.  Which is why in late fall, when it’s quite chilly, and the rest of the world is embracing ‘Sweatshirt Weather” you will still see Coleman running around without so much as a long-sleeve shirt on.  And why, right about now when it starts to get warm, Coleman will continue to wear his down jacket until it is roughly 70 degrees outside and he can go without any coat or sweatshirt. 

Despite the trials, there are lots of good days, and lots of times without surprises.  Many days are just normal.  Blessed, beautiful normal.  No problem with socks, pants, shirts or jackets.  And then there are upside surprises, when we fear the worst, and Coleman brings us straight up to proud.  Like the time we bought his last winter jacket.  He had been wearing a red fleece jacket – it was a good fall jacket but not nearly warm enough for New England winters.  He was little when we had bought it, and wasn’t out in the snow playing so it worked out fine.  But Coleman hadn’t grown much physically over the years, and even as he approached his seventh birthday the size 4 fleece jacket still fit.  By that time he was actually spending time outside, and even had started to like sledding, laughing with the thrill of the ride downhill.  But he was sledding in sneakers (he wouldn’t wear boots), this thin fleece jacket and no mittens.  And you couldn’t get a different jacket on him.  I would try, holding him down, squirming to the floor with him in a struggle, him in tears, pulling and grabbing at the jacket, not able to unzip it, but able to wriggle it off over his head.  So for the winter ahead of his seventh birthday we bought him a black down winter jacket.  We hung it in the front hall and everyday as we came down the front stairs I would say “Ohhh, I love that jacket.  That’s Coley’s new jacket.”  To which he would adamantly respond “NO! You don’t want that!!!”  And I would say “Oh, yes it’s really nice.  But you don’t have to wear it today.  You will wear it in 10 more days.”  And we all talked about the jacket throughout the day.  Then the next day, it was the same routine but instead adjusted to say “You will wear it in 9 more days” and so on.  On the tenth morning, I said “Yay! I love the new black jacket.  Today you are going to wear your new jacket!”  And when it was time, he slid it right on, without so much as a wiggle.  He’s worn it for two years now, and I just bought the same jacket, next size up, so we should be good to go for another two years.  Now we just need to get the boots on.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment